Restoration of a Roberts R200 radio bought off eBay
Restoring the radio back to working order proved more difficult than expected, but the result was worthwhile. All the troublesome AF117 transistors were replaced, but it still didn't work. It turned out that one of the Hunts wax paper capacitors had gone completely short circuit so this was replaced. This bought the radio to life. However there were still problems with long wave reception - there wasn't any. Initially, I tried realigning the longwave section to no avail. It turned out one end of the longwave aerial coil had become detached. After resoldering the connection longwave should have worked, but my attempts at realigning the long wave trimmer capacitors had resulted in a break in the pcb track. After tracking this down I finally got long wave reception!
I bought this radio off eBay for £10 or so, originally to salvage parts from another project. When it arrived it didn't work (which was expected) and looked a bit tatty (see link), but after a thorough clean and polish, it came up quite nicely. As all the major components seemed intact it seemed a good candidate for restoration.