Last modified: 15 April 2010
2. Collection of Personal Information TalesOfThings.com collects, stores, and uses your personal information with adequate notice and consent, according to UK Data Protection Act 1998, for two main purposes: (a) to operate and maintain the Site, and (b) for the purposes of academic research.
Any personal information you provide to us will never be shared with Third Parties. TalesOfThings.com may also collect forms of metadata, such as your browser type and language, access times, and the address of the website from which you arrived at Websites powered by TOTeM. This information will be used to check how people are using our site and to improve our service but when we use this data you will remain anonymous.
3. Data Security We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your data from unauthorised access, use, or disclosure.
4. Accuracy and Access The TOTeM Consortium endeavours to keep your personal information accurately recorded and you are able to review and change your personal profile at any time.
5. Use of Personal Information We may from time to time ask you to comment on your experience of TalesOfThings.com. Any such testimonials are only posted on TalesOfThings.com with your expressed permission.
6. Sharing Personal Information Please note that any materials which are uploaded, submitted or transmitted via TalesOfThings.com and which are marked as “public” are considered public information and may be accessed and viewed by researchers outside the TOTeM Consortium. We will not share personal information with other researchers unless you grant us expressed permission to do so.
7. Privacy Settings and Publicly Available Information You have the option to select a “public” or “private” profile. Public profiles can be accessed by anyone on the Internet. Private profiles will only be visible to those users who you choose to add to your list of contacts (this may include TOTeM, if applicable).
We will not display your full name or contact details on TalesOfThings.com, but some information about your account and your activities on the Site will automatically be visible to all (“public”) or designated (“private”) users when accessing your profile. This information includes your username, your date of registration, as well as the dates on which you last updated your profile page and/or submitted Content. Any information you choose to publish in addition to these details are published at your own risk.
Other users can contact you, subject to your privacy settings, by leaving a message or comment on your profile page. You can delete unwanted comments from your profile page, and you can remove other users from your list of contacts at your sole discretion.
Please note that any content which has once been uploaded, posted or otherwise submitted to the Internet, whether private or public, has the capacity to become and remain part of the public domain, and to be redistributed and viewed by others. Although our Terms of Service strictly prohibit any unauthorised use of public or private Content, the TOTeM Consortium is not liable for any losses or damages incurred as a result of the transgression of such rules.
8. Your Data and the TOTeM Project If you decide to take part in the TOTeM research project, we may ask you for personal information in addition to the data collected for registration purposes, but you are under no obligation to provide this information. TalesOfThings.com enables you to mark the approximate location of your object on a Google Map. Please do not provide an exact location (especially not your home or work address) or information that could locate you as an individual for your own security. For further information on The TOTeM research project go to About Us.